PELHAM’S ROTARY CLUB CELEBRATES A BANNER YEAR
OF COMMUNITY VOLUNTEERISM
Since 1947, the Pelham community has had the proud privilege of its own local Rotary Club – one of the world’s most prestigious international, volunteer-charitable organizations. With a theme line “Service Above Self”, the year 2015 was a year of many accomplishments for the Rotary Club of the Pelhams as it continued its legacy of active volunteerism… both locally and globally. Through the volunteer efforts of its members, the Pelham Rotary has had a tremendous impact on the lives of many, particularly families and children. This has had a direct effect on its membership roster, as it continues to grow and will welcome interested new members in 2016.
The following are some photos from our most recent Tastings fundraiser:
A few of Pelham Rotary’s successful local 2015 programs, projects and events included:
- Awarded a $10,000 Scholarship to PMHS Senior Jordan Salama at Graduation
- Honored two high school scholars monthly
- Raised $35,000 at Tastings fundraiser to provide life saving medical help for children brought to the U.S. from foreign countries or treated in their own countries, as well as local children in need.The DeCicco Family and Village of Pelham Det. John Hynes were honored at the 2015 Tastings in October.
- Donated $1,250 each to the soup kitchens of HOPE Community Services in New Rochelle and Community Services Associates in Mount Vernon
- Donated $500 to Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital’s Coat Drive for children
- Bell ringing in Pelham and collected over $2,000 for the Salvation Army
- Trained over 37 members of the community in CPR at free session in Town House
Pelham Rotary’s Annual Tastings Event: A Unique Fun-Raiser & Fundraiser.
Through its annual Tastings Event each Fall, The Rotary Club of the Pelhams raises funds to cover the costs of providing life-saving medical intervention for children in developing countries – this year in Kosovo, Uganda and El Salvador – and also helps local children in need. At this popular event held at the Pelham Country Club, it also honors local individuals or families who have made a significant difference in Town through their volunteer efforts. Whether the Rotary Club of the Pelhams finds a local family to host a child from afar who needs life-saving surgery, supports a medical mission abroad, or looks no further than our own neighborhoods to help provide the essentials to the smallest ones, the Rotary Club of the Pelhams is doing what it does best: enhances the lives of members of our community, and beyond.
According to Pelham Rotary Past-President Bob Rendon, “Our organization is comprised of wonderful individuals who volunteer their time and talent for the good of the community. Their families also often join us in special projects.”
Betty Bucher, Past-President, and current Chairman of the annual Tastings Committee added,
“We all have a common goal: to help where help is needed, and to enjoy a camaraderie on all of our volunteer committees.”
If you’re interested in learning more about the Rotary Club of the Pelhams, visit its website at pelhamrotary.com or contact Rotary President Kevin Falvey via email at email@example.com.
The club’s weekly meetings are held at Rockwells Restaurant on Wolfs Lane in Pelham, on Wednesdays from 12:15 – 1:30 pm; second Wednesday of the month 6 – 7:30 pm.